Monday, July 11, 2016

Just a Short Introduction

So let's just jump right in. First, I am from Lyons, a small suburb of Chicago, and I am currently a sophomore at John Carroll University, in University Heights, Ohio, just outside of Cleveland. My major is political science and my minor is French. How did I choose that track? I am not entirely sure, but I think it was made for me.

Ever since I can remember, I have always been interested in politics, especially my local officials. Living in a small town, it is easy to get involved in politics that have a direct impact on me, such as voting for mayor, school board, etc. In one word the politicians in my town, especially the mayor: crooked. But when every election comes around, the majority of voters seem to forget this, but rather focus on the sudden good acts performed by the elected official, such as repairing roads and starting new projects. Basically, long story short, for some reason, I dislike how many of my local officials play the game and skew the field, but I love to follow politics and speak out on my beliefs. What is most important to remember is that in any election, people have to vote. Voting is our duty as citizens and my biggest pet peeve is individuals who complain about their mayor, governor, president, etc., but chose not to vote. Choosing not to vote is fine, but then those people should not complain about the result.

Even more interesting to me, however, is foreign politics and relations. Being in an ever expanding and globalized world. it is certainly important to understand the politics of other countries and how that impacts American foreign policy. My plan after graduating John Carroll University is to go on to law school, but as to which type of law, I am still figuring that out.

Now on to the class I am taking right now, a linked political science and communications class centered around the 2016 Republican National Convention. In addition to learning valuable information on how the convention works, next week I will be volunteering as a Cleveland Ambassador at a hotel in Beachwood for two days and the other half of the week, I will be volunteering with the 2016 Republican National Volunteer Team. I am most excited for being in Cleveland during this exciting and historic week and seeing how the RNC unfolds and what Trump has in store for all of us.



1 comment: