Monday, July 18, 2016

Being a Cleveland Ambassador

This afternoon and Wednesday, I will be volunteering as a Cleveland Ambassador with the 2016 Host Committee for the Republican National Convention. But what exactly does that entail?

Basically, my main responsibility is to greet the delegates and be a friendly face representing Cleveland. If any of the delegates have a question about where to go in and around Cleveland, I can offer some suggestions. Today, I was asked what some of my favorite places were and I pointed out Little Italy and West Side Market. Both are great and interesting areas of Cleveland to explore. Hopefully, the various delegates in and around Cleveland this week get to experience a little bit of what Cleveland has to offer.



So who exactly are the delegates? They are elected Republican officials representing every state and must vote for a candidate to become their nominee for the presidential election. At the hotel I am volunteering at, both the Wyoming and Alaska delegates are present. The cowboy hats instantly gave away the Wyoming delegates, while the Alaska delegates were rocking matching jackets. They were all really nice to talk to and, as many had never been to Cleveland before, I was more than happy to point out a few places in Cleveland for them to check out.

Lastly, I would like to give a special shout out to the other volunteers who worked with me that afternoon. They were all so helpful and were more than eager to spread their love and knowledge of Cleveland. On a side note, one of the volunteers I worked with was a 1997 John Carroll University graduate.

So, readers, while the Republicans have their fun at the Quicken Loans arena, I encourage you to explore all Cleveland has to offer and see why the people here love it so much.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! It's so great to read your post and Peter Manos' -- he's working with a children's choir that is serenading people as they arrive. The spirit of welcome and hospitality here is amazing!

    ReplyDelete